Ramen is one of the most fantastic meals you can ever come across; so yummy yet so cheap. Properly-cooked ramen is sweet and fulfilling, which may explain why it’s one of Kylie Jenner’s favorite dishes.
Sure, there are hundreds of ways to make ramen noodles, but cooking the tasty meal in the microwave is perfect if you’re in a hurry. But how exactly should you make ramen in the oven, and for how long?
This post will take you through everything you need to know about the preparation of ramen in the microwave, including how long it takes, how to do it, and more.
Let’s get started!
How long do you microwave ramen noodles for?
Generally, it would take anywhere between 2-5 minutes to cook instant ramen noodles in the microwave. The cooking time will hugely depend on the type of microwave you use and whether or not you’ve boiled the noodles before.
A powerful microwave will cook your ramen in 2 minutes, while a less powerful microwave takes longer. Likewise, it will take lesser time to cook your ramen noodles if you boil them first.
If you remove the ramen from the microwave and it’s firmer, you may cook it for another minute to make it softer.
What do I need to prepare ramen noodles in the microwave?
In addition to your trusty microwave oven, you need two more main ingredients for microwave ramen, including:
- A package of ramen noodles
You can buy the noodles online or from any grocery store. Most experts recommend that you purchase Top Ramen or Maruchan Ramen noodles, but any instant noodles are okay.
Instead of water, you may use beef broth, chicken broth, or vegetable broth. The broth is perfect for those looking to make ramen stir fry or soup.
Also, you’ll need a microwaveable bowl to cook your ramen. Be sure to get oven mitts, hot mitts, or pot holders to protect your hands when removing the bowl from the microwave.
How do I cook ramen in a microwave?
Fast, sweet, and perfect, microwave ramen noodles should be on every foodie’s to-cook list. There are many methods to cook your noodles, but using a microwave is among the best ways.
Here is how you cook instant ramen noodles in the microwave in a matter of minutes:
Method #1: Prepare water first, then cook ramen noodles
- Remove the ramen noodles from their package and place them in a separate container, preferably a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add two cups of water to a microwave-safe bowl. Then, place the bowl in the microwave and leave it for about 3 minutes
- Using hot mitts, remove the hot bowl carefully and add the noodles. You can break the noodles to help them absorb more moisture faster.
- Place the instant noodles in the microwave and let them cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the bowl carefully and serve your ramen when it’s hot.
You may add the seasoning packets and mix them with your noodles. Leave the noodles for about a minute to absorb the flavoring.
Method #2: Cooking microwave noodles in a bowl directly
- Remove your ramen noodles from the package. Then, break the noodles if you love small pieces
- Add the noodles to a microwave-safe bowl. Add about 2 cups of cold water to cover the noodles completely
- Place a lid over the bowl to avoid splattering and place the bowl in the microwave. You may use plastic wrap to cover the bowl
- Leave your ramen noodles in the microwave for about 3 to 5 minutes. If your microwave is powerful enough, your noodles should be cooked within 3 minutes.
Remove the noodles from the microwave, drain the broth, mix them with your favorite seasoning, and serve them while hot.
Method #3: Cooking microwave ramen in a Styrofoam cup
If your ramen noodles come in a Styrofoam container, you may decide to cook them there. To microwave the noodles;
- Break the ramen noodles
- Add water to the cup of noodles and microwave it for one minute
- Stir the noodles and cook for 30-second intervals until it’s cooked
- Serve your meal while it’s hot
Yes, the seasoning packet with your package of ramen can suffice, but it wouldn’t do any harm to try more, or would it? In fact, some flavors have proved perfect in making your meal more delicious.
You may add a little bit of butter and olive oil to your noodle to improve their taste. More salt, pepper, garlic powder, chicken bouillon cube, and Italian seasoning will make your meal even more mouth-watering.
If you prefer Asian flavors, add garlic powder, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and onion powder to your instant noodles. For extra umami flavor, add sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
But you’re free to add whatever you like: hoisin sauce, bean sprout, hot sauce, Spam, Shrimp, Sriracha, tofu, a boiled egg – anything that you love may work just fine. For instance, the famous Kylie Jenner ramen recipe includes adding a raw egg.
The Kylie Jenner ramen recipe may not work well in the microwave because the egg won’t cook properly. Use a small saucepan to try Kylie’s recipe.
You may also cook the egg on the side and add it to your microwave noodles.
How do I cook Kylie Jenner’s ramen recipe?
If you’ve ever tried this Kylie Jenner ramen egg recipe, I’m sure you can agree with me that it’s quick, tasty, and satisfying. And all you need to make it is three simple ingredients and 5 minutes of utmost.
To get started, gather 1 cup of boiling water, one tablespoon of butter, an instant ramen packet, one raw egg, and one teaspoon of garlic powder. Then, proceed to prepare your pack of ramen as follows:
- Cook noodles according to the package instruction
- Once cooked, place your ramen in a small saucepan and add enough water
- Add butter and garlic powder and stir until the butter melts
- Add the beaten raw egg to your meal and allow it to cook for one minute
- Serve the food hot and enjoy.
Can I cook ramen noodles without a microwave?
Don’t have a microwave to cook your ramen? Don’t worry – you may cook your noodles on a stove.
And this is how you do it:
- Add one cup of water to a small saucepan and allow it to boil on a stove
- Break your noodles and put them into a medium bowl. Then, pour water over the noodles and cover the bowl – the water must be hot.
- Leave it for about 3 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and stir your noodles.
- Add your seasoning and flavors and stir.
Please note that your choice of seasoning is not limited to the packaging flavor packet. You may add any flavors that you like.
Recipe tips for the best instant noodles
Whether you’re cooking ramen noodles for the first time or have been cooking them for some time now, I’m sure you’d benefit from a few tips to make your microwave ramen more flavorful.
Here are six useful tips for every ramen lover:
- Break your instant ramen noodles before cooking. Broken noodles are easier to cook and eat.
- Add more water to your noodles if you’d like more broth. Too much water will spoil your broth, however.
- Your noodles should be soft and wavy. Keep cooking them in 30-second intervals if they’re still crunchy.
- The total cooking time for your noodles should be about 3 minutes.
- Try to elevate your recipe through different additives like protein, vegetables, sauces, or broth
How do I store microwave ramen?
Instant ramen noodles taste the best right after it’s cooked, but that doesn’t mean you can’t save them for another day. If you want to store your leftover microwave cup noodles, allow them to cool and store them in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
You may leave the noodles in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. The ramen begins to break down, and its texture becomes different if you leave it there for too long.
You may reheat your ramen in the microwave. Use a microwave-safe container to reheat your meal. You may also enjoy it cold!
Are ramen noodles healthy?
Although instant ramen noodles provide you with B vitamins, manganese, and iron, they lack protein, fiber, crucial vitamins, and other macronutrients. Their TBHQ, MSG, and high sodium contents may also increase your risk of heart diseases, stomach cancer, and metabolic syndrome.
So, be mindful of the number of ramen noodles you take. Tiny amounts of noodles won’t hurt, but too much can affect your health negatively.
Note: To ensure you consume healthy ramen, check the label that comes with your favorite brand.
The bottom line
Together with microwave burritos and frozen pizza, instant ramen is among the fast and easy foods that do the trick when running short of time and money. They’re easy to prepare in the microwave, with the cooking process taking only 3 to 5 minutes to cook.
This post provides you with a simple way to cook microwave ramen noodles. Good luck as you purpose to use it to make the perfect meal.